"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."
— Desmond Tutu

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why we need more Ubuntu in our country

"So, you find humor in other people's suffering?"
"Yeah, why not? It's not me. Plus, it's funny." -- a 12th grader at Thornton High School

After hearing this sentiment echoed in my class today, I realized that I am not okay with the direction what we perceive as "entertainment" is going. We mock people's deepest beliefs, we laugh at people getting hurt; we somehow think that being an "individual" is best manifested by belittling others, picking on and bullying them for kicks. 

We are a nation of shadenfreude. We like to see people hurt, people lose, people be shamed. I suppose, being a member of the "America's Funniest Home Videos" generation, that I shouldn't be surprised in learning that many people think that other people's suffering is entertainment. Most "reality" shows like American Idol, and America's Next Top Model thrive in the moment where one person is mocked, scorned, and sent home. We mock those on American Idol for months and even years after their public disgrace. We look at websites like Lamebook, RegrEtsy, and People of Walmart and feel superior to those dumb fools we see. "Wow, that's pathetic," is a comment often printed underneath pictures of people donning strange hairdos, wearing revealing clothes, or selling a hand-crafted trinket.

I listen to NPR nearly every morning, and more and more, I find myself reeling in anger at the stories I hear. Leaders of our country are telling us that it is okay to "hate" those who oppose us (or who do not agree with us), that we must be "vigilant" in ensuring that our OWN opinions are the ones that matter... the lack of civility in public discourse (as a friend put it) is astounding. And it should be terrifying. We so much want to be right, we want to "win," and we will do it at any cost- human or otherwise. The idea behind Ubuntu is that we are not threatened by others, and we ourselves are dimished when others are. We, therefore, do not do the diminishing.

Yes, there was definitely a time when I got my kicks at the expense of others. I am a big fan of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. I loved making fun of former president W. Bush and his stupidity. However, as I listened to my class today talk about how they would rather see a fight or a car accident for entertainment than read a book or even watch their favorite TV show, a terrifying thought struck me: this is our next generation of leaders. And this is what they want to see. As I near 30, I am beginning to realize a few things: mindsets like these are unproductive, they distract us from problems that require thought and reason, and this is simply not funny anymore.  

So, this is my quest for enlightenment, of sorts. Not a saccharine, sappy, "after school special" of feel-good stories, but an honest look at what people are doing in the United States and in other parts of the world to be productive, to improve their society, and to embody the idea of "Ubuntu" about which Archbishop Desmond Tutu spoke. Every time I see/hear/read about the dehumanization of another human being, I will counter it with finding a story about someone who embodies Ubuntu. Perhaps through this, I can at least find some balance in my own soul, and look upon our American culture with pride and hope for future generations. 

"Bless the whole world- no exceptions."

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to future posts--and to the return of civil discourse in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thoroughly disgusted that one of our seniors said your opening statement. To be honest, I'm scared for my generation and how... uneducated about the real world and how it works they seem to be. I'm no expert but my goodness, that is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darla, you are one that gives me hope that my kids will have good leadership. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Your kindness and passion for justice are amazing and I love that you're writing this. Go get 'em! ...er, find 'em... ubuntus, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete