"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."
— Desmond Tutu

Friday, March 11, 2011

Countering Thoughtlessness

I should know by now not to read comments people make on controversial news stories. I was reading a story earlier about Rep Gabrielle Giffords' recovery and some of the comments made were unnecessary, and unnecessarily hateful. I guess I'm having a hard time balancing free speech with the things that people choose to say. I suppose one has to be strong enough in his convictions to be able to look past the sometimes horrifying rhetoric people spew onto public forums. I decided that since I'm not quite that strong, I'm going to counter it with an old story from BBC Outlook I heard in January. I think about this woman and her Ubuntu spirit nearly every day, and I think that her selflessness and compassion are great enough to wipe out the rest of what I head today.
Enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/2011/01/110104_dorah_mokoena.shtml 

To read more about Dorah's story, go here:
http://www.childrenoffire.org/index2.asp?include=thetimes.htm&catID=3

And to learn more about children like Dorah, or to make a contribution, go here:
http://www.firechildren.org/index.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment